Send a Document Overview
Sending documents with Foxit eSign is easy and secure. Users can send documents and create and use templates for their most used forms to save time. This article will review the steps to upload and prepare a document for sending for eSignature(s).
Jump to Document Sending Topic
• Upload a File
• Combine files
• Add Recipients
• Add Fields
• Manage and Editing Fields and Recipients
• Field Validations
• Copy and Paste Fields
• Prefill Field Values
• Selecting Multiple Fields
• Changing Recipient Permission Levels
• Saving Document Draft Progress
• Sending a Document
• Select Invitation Email Template
• Edit an Email Template
Upload a file
- Upload the file from your device or cloud-based storage by clicking Upload a File or drag and drop directly to the marked section.
Combine files (Optional)
Combine multiple documents into an Envelope by using the Add Document button.
Add yourself as a signer or Add Others. Recipients are automatically added to the Address Book when added as a recipient for signing or reviewing the document. After being added to the Address Book, part of their details can be used (Name or Email) to find them in the contacts list and add them from the Address Book.
1. Select a party from the drop-down list above the Toolbox
2. Drag and drop to add fields to the document
Manage and Edit Fields and Recipients
Fields can be placed anywhere on the document, and the length and height of the field can be adjusted.
Update party details by clicking on the Edit-icon.
Replace the existing recipient with a new recipient by clicking on the Update-icon.
Remove the recipient by clicking the 'x' in the top right corner of the name field in the picture below.
Click on a field to select and enter its properties. Below is an example using a Date Field.
In the Field Property Settings, you can enter the Field Name, optional Description, and select whether there is a format or data validation. Recipients can be added before starting the drag-and-drop operation or during it.
Character limit, preset validations, and customized validation and formats using RegEx can be set using a Text Field. Field Properties contain different settings depending on the selected field.
Suppose multiple fields with the same Field Name are added to the same document.
In that case, it will automatically prefill the recurring field once a recipient enters a value in the signature process. The name of the field is used as an ID. Fields with no names have, by default, a unique ID.
To avoid the automatic prefill, give the fields a unique name, Customer Name and Physician Name or Address 1 and Address 2, for example.
Copy a field
- Right-click and click ‘Copy’, then right-click and click 'Paste’. All field properties will transfer to the copied field.
- Prefill field values by double-clicking on a field and entering a value or entering the value directly in the field's Property Settings.
Select Multiple Fields
Selecting multiple fields is used when reassigning to another party. Select multiple fields by holding down CTRL (CMD on Mac) and clicking on each field to select.
Reassign one or more selected fields by selecting the new party from the recipient list.
💡Tip! If you need to assign all fields, right-click on the document and click ‘Select All’.
Control the access and workflow of each recipient by selecting a Permission Level. By default, the ‘Fill out Fields and Sign’ is selected.
- ‘Fill out Fields and Sign’ is given to recipients that are required to sign and fill in fields. Recipients with this permission are required to have at least one signature field on the document.
- ‘Fill out Fields only’ is given to recipients that do not need to sign the document but will enter information in their assigned fields.
- ‘CC/View Only’ will send an email notification and a copy of the Envelope after all parties complete the signature process.
- Give Edit privileges to a recipient by selecting ‘Edit and Sign’, also called Version Control.
Save the Document Envelope
- Save the progress for a draft document by clicking ‘Save’.
Start the Sending process
- When all fields are added, and the document is ready to be sent for signing, click ‘Send’.
Select Invitation Email
When sending a document, the default email template may be changed by choosing a different email template from the drop-down list or by simply editing the text by selecting Editor View. You can create as many email templates as required in the ‘Email Template’ section of the Settings page.
Edit an Email Template
- Select an Invitation Email Template from the list.
- Edit the email body text or subject.
Send the Document
- Click Send to send the envelope for signing.