Foxit PDF Editor support deployment via Remote Desktop Services, including RemoteApp and Terminal Server, (formerly Windows Terminal Server).
IT Admins looking to customize and deploy Foxit PDF Editor to Remote Desktop Services.
In this article:
- System Requirements
- Tuning for virtual environments
- Deploy on one of the following to any version of Foxit PDF Editor Windows version 12.1 and up:
- Windows Server 2022
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012 R2 standard
- Windows Server 2008 R2
Install Foxit PDF Editor Windows
The following method should be used to install the client (the version is not lower than PDF Editor Windows 12.1.) on the RDS.
Open the cmd command line and execute the command
- If it is the msi version, add the parameter USERMLICENSE=1 USEVENIDENTITY=1 after the path of the installation package.
C:\>GA_PDFEditor_AllLang_Online_Bundle_v126.96.36.19933.msi USERMLICENSE=1 USEVENIDENTITY=1
- If it is the exe version, add the parameter /UseRMLicense /UseVEnIdentity after the path of the installation package.
C:\>GA_PDFEditor_AllLang_Online_Bundle_v188.8.131.5233.exe /UseRMLicense /UseVEnIdentity
Tuning for virtual environments
Tuning helps mitigate performance issues, simplifies the end user experience, and allows you to disable features and behaviors that should not be accessible to end users in an IT-managed environment.
Only licensed users should have access to the virtual Foxit PDF Editor instance. For more information, refer to the Software license terms.
RDS deployments support the following licensing options:
- Named user licensing
- Shared device licensing
Named user licensing deployments
With named user licensing, end users simply “activate” Foxit PDF Editor by logging in to the software. License-related data is saved in the user's "AppData/Roaming/Foxit Software/" folder and registry hive "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Editor 12.0\Advanced" which is synced to the VM on login.
1. Set up profile redirection. User profile data in roaming folder as well as the HKCU hive must sync to the VM instance on which the user logs in.
Admins should ensure that such data is saved on user logout or disconnect. Some systems provide VM tools; for example, Citrix (Citrix Profile Management) and VMware Horizon (View Personal Management). At a minimum, sync the following:
|User configuration redirection||C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Foxit Software||
|registry synchronization||HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software|
2. Customize the package using the Foxit Customization Wizard
3. Deploy at as usual.
Shared device licensing deployments
Foxit PDF Editor supports Offline Licensing in most virtual environments, including Citrix, VMWare, RDS/WTS, and App-V. Use this package type for end-users who:
- Cannot adopt named user licensing since they are not allowed to use online services.
- Restricted environment with no internet.
Don't use this package type for end-users who:
- Periodically connect to the internet, because the Admin Console only needs to check license usage every 60 days.
1. Customize the package using the Foxit Customization Wizard to include the Shared Device key
2. Deploy as usual.
For more information, please refer to