Dependant Field & Conditional Logic Overview
Dependant Fields and Conditional logic can be enabled for a field by setting document fields as dependent fields when adding them to a document or a template. Dependent Fields and Conditional Logic can be used to limit and enable available form fields for recipients as they proceed through the signing process. All fields can be set as Dependent Fields except for Signature Field, Initials Field, Accept Button and Decline Button. Multiple fields can be dependent on the same parent field.
Examples of where Dependent Fields and Conditional Logic could be used:
- Branching options for intake forms, IE, Yes or No options with dependent text fields for descriptions of why the associated option was selected.
- Removing or adding mandatory fields depending on a recipient's data previously entered by a recipient.
Jump to Dependent Field and Conditional Logic Topic
How to Use the Dependent Field
When using the dependent field, the field is either visible or invisible depending on the conditional logic. Select the values of the independent field that will enable the signer to see the dependent field. Dependent fields can be set as mandatory or optional. Mandatory field setup as dependent becomes conditionally mandatory.
- Clicking on a field will open Field Properties
- Select Mark it as Dependent Field checkbox
- Select the Name of Parent Field from the dropdown list (Field ID)
- Select a condition based on value within parent field: Is Blank, Any Value, Contains (if Checkbox, checked/unchecked), or Enter a value the Parent Field must exactly match.
Name placed fields to easily find them in the dependent field parent dropdown list
Examples of conditional logic
- Checkboxes: Card, Cash, Check
- Checkbox group: Payment Method
- Parent Field: Checkbox Card from checkbox group Payment Method
- Value of Parent Field: Checked
- Dependent Field: Credit Card Number
Dependent Fields are Displayed Depending on the Field Logic
The Credit Card Number Text Field in this example will only be displayed when the Card checkbox is selected.