Document, Envelope, and Template Differences Overview
Foxit eSign offers variety of ways to create and send documents for signing. Below, we'll review the different types, their usage, and their individual benefits.
Jump To Article Topic
• What is a Document?
• Document Based Pricing Example
• What is an Envelope?
• Envelope Based Pricing Example
• What is a Template?
• Home Screen Navigation
What is a Document?
An envelope is composed of one or more individual Documents (files). Documents can be thought of as letters in an envelope. Multiple letters can be stored in a single envelope. Document-based pricing is charging a number of documents/files sent in an Envelope.
Example: One or two forms (separate files)
Document Based Pricing Example
- Three documents sent in one Envelope = Three Documents deducted from the quota
💡 Note! A Document sent becomes an Envelope.
What is an Envelope?
An uploaded one-time use file or a combination of selected files creates an Envelope. Each sending process is an Envelope that can contain one or multiple documents. Envelope pricing is based on per send, no matter number of documents in the Envelope.
💡 Note! Once the recipients information is added in the sending process of a Template, an envelope is created.
Example: An Envelope containing three separate document files. The three documents can be thought of as letters added to a single Envelope.
Envelope Based Pricing Example
- Three documents sent in one Envelope = One Envelope deducted from the quota
💡 Note! An Envelope can contain multiple Documents.
What is a Template?
Templates are reusable forms used to quickly send contracts or agreements that you use often. The form typically stays the same, and the only things that change are the data collected and the signatures. Fields placed and recipient information/roles added are saved on the form.
Example: Creating a new document/envelope from a previously created template(s)
- Select Create New Document.
- Hover over Choose Template.
- Check the templates to be used and select Use Selected.
- The selected templates will be used to create a new envelope composed of document copies of the template.
Home Screen Navigation
- Upload a new Document.
- Create a Template.
- Select and Send one or more existing Templates.