This guide provides detailed instructions for installing the Rendition Server Web Applications on a Microsoft Windows Server with IIS 7.5 or newer. Even if you have limited knowledge of the Windows Server environment, you can follow these step-by-step instructions to successfully install the applications. We will cover the complete installation process, including enabling Static Content and adding the necessary roles and features.
Before starting the installation, ensure that you have the following prerequisites:
- A Microsoft Windows Server with IIS 7.5 or newer.
- Administrative access to the server.
Step 1: Prepare the Server
1. Log in to the destination server using an administrator account. If you need assistance, consult your system administrator or IT support.
2. Open the "Server Manager" application. You can access it from the Start menu or by right-clicking the Start button and selecting "Server Manager."
Step 2: Enable Static Content
1. In the Server Manager, select "Manage" from the top-right menu and choose "Add Roles and Features" to open the wizard.
2. Proceed through the wizard and on the "Select server roles" screen, ensure that the "Web Server (IIS)" role is selected. Then, under "Role Services," expand "Web Server" and select "Static Content."
Step 3: Add Roles and Features
1. In the Server Manager, click on "Add Roles and Features" from the dashboard to launch the "Add Roles and Features Wizard."
2. Follow the wizard's prompts to add the required roles and features. Select the "Web Server (IIS)" role from the "Select server roles" screen. If it is not available, you may need to install it separately with the help of your system administrator or IT support.
Step 4: Install Rendition Server Web Applications
- Obtain the executable file provided for Rendition Server Web Applications.
- Run the executable file on the server where IIS is installed by double-clicking it.
- The installer window will open, presenting you with the available installation options.
- Choose the desired features to install for the Rendition Server Web Applications. The installer offers the following options:
- Configuration Web Application: Provides a user interface for configuring and managing the Rendition Server. It also offers interactive statistics with information about the current system status and load.
- Conversion Web Application: Enables convenient file conversion to the PDF/A format through an easy-to-use web application.
- Select the appropriate features based on your requirements by clicking on the corresponding checkboxes.
- Proceed with the installation by following the prompts provided by the installer.
- Customize the installation settings on the "Advanced Options" page, specifying the root directory and target site for the Web Applications.
Root Directory: This is the path where the files of the Web Applications will be copied. Ensure that the user account associated with the application pool, which is used by the Rendition Server Web Applications, has sufficient permissions for this directory and its subdirectories.
Target Site: These settings determine the IIS website where the Web Applications will be installed. By default, the installer will create this website, maintain it during updates, and delete it during uninstallation. If you want to install the Rendition Server Web Applications for an existing website, enter the name of the website and select the option "Do not install/update the site."
Server Name: Enter the DNS name of the server where the managing node is running. If you are installing the Web Applications on the same machine, you can simply enter "localhost."
- Provide the necessary configuration details during the installation process, ensuring the user account associated with the application pool has sufficient permissions.
- Read and accept the license agreement to proceed with the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, you can launch and access the Rendition Server Web Applications.